The global pipe market is growing rapidly, driven by a constant demand for pipe. However, the fiberglass pipe market has been expanding at an even higher rate as end-users for pipe systems realise that fiberglass is the material of choice. With pipe integrity becoming an all the more important issue in the oil and gas sector, fibreglass plays a major role for future of pipe industry.
The Pipe Industry
The world needs pipe to survive and as the world grows, both in terms of population and infrastructure, so does the demand for pipe.
The Fiberglass Advantage
Fiberglass possesses certain physical qualities, enabling it to provide a superior specification for pipe systems to traditionally used materials.
Over the past five decades, fiberglass technology has evolved to produce a material which today offers a superior alternative specification for pipe systems to traditionally used pipe materials.
What is a Fiberglass Pipe?
- A composite product,
- Made of glass fibers,
- Embedded in or surrounded by thermosetting resin,
- Which is subsequently cured.
Fiberglass pipes include Glass Reinforced Polyester (GRP) pipes, Glass Reinforced Epoxy (GRE) pipes and Glass Reinforced Vinylester (GRV) pipes.
What makes Fiberglass the material of choice?
Since the 1970s, fiberglass technology has evolved to enable fiberglass to be used as either the pipe material of choice or a feasible alternative for certain applications and across all end-markets, except gas transmission.
Fiberglass possesses certain physical qualities which we believe make it a superior alternative to traditionally used pipe materials.
The Competitive Attributes of Fiberglass
- Lightweight - Lower transportation and installation costs compared to materials such as steel as concrete
- Durable - Survives harsh conditions with lower replacement needs than steel, ductile iron and concrete
- Anti-corrosive - Leakage from corrosion is significantly less than other materials meaning a longer life than other more corrosive materials
- Efficient carrier - Better hydraulic performance than steel, ductile iron and concrete
- Versatile material - Works in a multitude of applications and end-markets
Leading the Fiberglass Revolution
CPI is a leader in the fiberglass pipe industry and is driving conversion to fiberglass pipe systems